Palacio da Pena, Sintra, Portugal

Palacio da Pena, Sintra, Portugal

 

Palácio da Pena, or “Castelo da Pena” as it is more commonly known, is the most complete and notable example of Portuguese architecture in the Romantic period. It was built in 1839, when the King Consort Dom Fernando II of Saxe Coburg-Gotha (1816-1885) bought the ruins of the Hieronymite Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Pena and started to adapt it for use as a residence. Today it is a Unesco World Heritage site.

Photo by Pedro Szekely